Timothy John Pauxtis was born on February 29, 1996, a special Leap Year baby. Timmy was our third son, joining big brothers Andrew (12) and Jason (8). There were many years between the boys, so I considered having Timmy an incredible gift.


Timmy was a happy, sweet and loving little boy. He had a wonderful smile and he would smile so easily. By far the most captivating thing about Timmy were his big blue eyes. People would always say to him; “Do you know that you have the most beautiful blue eyes?” Timmy didn’t really care, but I knew someday, when he was older, he would be using those baby blues to get the girls!


As Timmy grew older he became fascinated with policemen and army men. He dreamed of becoming a policeman someday. He believed in doing the right thing and being kind. One of the most important things in Timmy’s life were his friends. Timmy truly cared for all of his friends and in return had many close friendships. Timmy loved his life. He was a carefree, silly little boy. He loved going to school, playing video games, riding his bicycle and listening to rock and roll music. He would always bop his head to music and loved to sing and dance silly. Timmy was also a cub scout and a brown belt in Taekwondo. He was determined to become a black belt.


On November 27, 2004, Timmy woke up in the morning having a focal seizure. The whole right side of his body was trembling. We took him to our local hospital where a CAT scan revealed a brain tumor. I will never forget being brought into a private room and being told that Timmy had a brain tumor. It was a terrifying, heart wrenching moment that would change our lives forever.


Timmy and I were airlifted from Monmouth Medical Center in New Jersey to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Extensive testing and a biopsy revealed that Timmy had an inoperable grade 2 thalamic astrocytoma. It was considered inoperable because it was located deeply inside the brain. The plan was to treat the tumor aggressively with chemotherapy and radiation.


The life Timmy once knew changed so quickly. When all this happened to Timmy, he never asked why this was happening to him. He never thought about dying. He once told me that he would be fine, because children do not die. I am in awe of the trust and love that Timmy had for us. Timmy knew how very much he was loved. He did everything we asked him to, without any complaints. He endured three different chemotherapies, six weeks of radiation, many unsedated 1 ½ hour MRI’s, hospital stays, blood transfusions and more.


The life he had once known slowly disappeared, but Timmy remained positive. During this time, Timmy missed so much school. He worked very hard with his tutors to catch up. He wanted so much to go back to school to be with his friends. In September, 2005 Timmy was able to return school to start 4th grade. Timmy thrived in school. His teachers and his friends were his best medicine. The teachers and children of this small school called Middletown Village took care of Timmy and made him feel so special.


Unfortunately, despite all our efforts, all the doctors efforts, and all the love in the world, the cancer continued to progress. In late January of 2006, we brought Timmy home under the care of hospice. Timmy passed away peacefully at home on April 11, 2006.


Timmy was truly a special child. Through his Caringbridge website, his journey, his bravery, his love of his family and our love for him touched many people all over the world. I believe Timmy will be remembered. I believe Timmy’s life and death have made a difference in the way others live their lives now. Even though he was here for a very short time, Timmy left his mark on our lives and will live on in our hearts forever. Please visit our website at http://www.timothypauxtisfoundation.org/TPF-aboutTimmy.html ~Susan Pauxtis-Timmy’s Mom